Tuesday, May 7, 2013



After several very relaxing days along the banks of the Colorado River, we pulled up stakes and headed towards Houston, Texas. US 90 merges with I-10 until the town of Katy where the toll road begins. We headed off I-10 onto Texas 6 which is a diagonal and connects with I-45 north of Houston. If you've ever driven in downtown Houston, you know it's a nightmare! Once on I-45 it was a short drive to our new temporary home, Lake Conroe.




We really enjoyed our campsite on the river at Thousand Trails. The pool was heated and the spa was awesome. The sites were large and spacious. The interesting thing about TT is that they charge for 50amp service and many give up this view  because they refuse to pay the extra $3/night!







Wildlife abounds in the preserve. Deer are plentiful and we saw armadillos, raccoons and tons of birds....this momma watched to make sure Jasmine stayed on the trail. It looked like she was about to add a new addition to the herd...



We saw Great Blue Herons, Snowy White Egrets and natures clean up crew, the Turkey Vulture. This is a tri colored Great Egret across the river from our campsite.












Curiosity got the better of her as she came closer to look at me. When she did so, I got a better picture of her. A magnificent bird when taking to flight....



There were plenty of deer and several baby fawns in the campground. The mommas kept the fawns pretty close and I didn't want to stress the deer out with Jasmine, so we kept our distance. We do keep Jasmine on her lead as she would be no match with an irritated and/or threatened doe.
Interestingly enough, we saw no bucks.

I photographed this doe because here coat was soft and smooth unlike most of the other deer in the campground.



Cruising down Texas Highway 6, we saw this sign and were intrigued by it. We may head back this way in the car to see just what exactly someone would have in a funeral museum....I hope there are no bodies....



Off the Interstates and down our kind of road. Paradise is just around the next bend in the road...


Our campsite at Lake Conroe. Closest neighbot is that Class B rig to the right. There is a bathroom next to us on the left, but it is closed. We figured it was perfect as we never use the public restrooms and being closed will eliminate any foot traffic. There are a few sites with a lake view but they were already filled. Once we park, my job is to set up the outside, while Debi takes care of the inside. We usually finish about the same time.



Jasmine likes her perch at the foot of my sling chair. This is our view out the back. Yes, my work is done. I am just resting prior to going to the spa.....


Speaking of which, here is the spa at Lake Conroe. It's an adult only affair and was warm and relaxing. It's open until 11PM M-F and Midnight on the weekends. There are no campsites around the pool or spa. I can't say enough nice things about this facility. The showers around the spa even have soft water!

1 comment:

  1. Looks and sounds wonderful! Don't know how you find these places. I will say though that I prefer interstates. Don't trust states to maintain non-main roads and I prefer a wider shoulder, so if I lose focus I don't end up in the ditch! You are much better than I though, so understand the draw. Hope all is well and great to see you all on the road again!

    ReplyDelete