Saturday, June 23, 2012


As most of you know, we just left Yellowstone National Park. With that in mind, I thought I would post some pictures of the wildlife we saw there.....unfortunately we were in the Motorhome just inside the East Entrance when we encounter some Big Horn Sheep. Since it's difficult to grab the camera and shoot while driving, we missed pictures of them. We saw several Eagle's nest but the only Bald Eagle we saw was at the Discovery Museum and Rescue Center in West Yellowstone....


The Moose above was enjoying eating moss and whatever else he could find on the bottom of the river.



The Elk on the right was enjoying an evening meal on the shores of Yellowstone Lake.



This little Beaver was swimming to join his friends on the other side of the road. It appeared he and his friends had a substantial dam started about 75 yards off the highway.







One of the many Bison we encountered. Besides lumbering down the middle of the road whenever they wanted, they were content to be photographed and talked to. They were much bigger up close than one would expect.


This guy was fun to watch. Several of us got out of our cars to get better pictures. He was looking under logs and in the grass for food until he decided to come up to the road and cross. Everyone scooted back into the safety of their vehicles before he made it to the road. I snapped this picture and hastened back to the safety of my car that my daughter had conveniently moved forward to where I was standing.


We encountered this guy about 30 yards off the road eating dinner. I got out to photograph him and he picked up the entire hind leg of a deer and moved it about 5 yards away from me, dropped it and stared at me. I noticed his tail was dropped, which is not an aggressive stance, so he was content that I was not a threat to his meal. If his tail was straight out or vertical that would be an aggressive stance and a warning that he felt threatened. After snapping this picture, I retreated to the safety of my car and he resumed eating his meal.


While walking Jasmine around Fort Yellowstone near Mammoth on the North Loop, I discovered these two babies patiently waiting for momma to bring them lunch. They were both very alert and watching everything that went on below them. Many tourists, unaware they were there, simply walked on by. We encountered several Elk cows in the town but they weren't especially fond of seeing Jasmine. It was awesome to see all this wildlife in one area !

No comments:

Post a Comment